Background

 

Mind-Education is an umbrella term for scientifically based knowledge, techniques and methods that can overcome the challenges we experience in the modern industrial societies. These challenges include both physical and mental suffering:

1) Obesity

2) Type 2 diabetes

3) Cardiovascular disease

4) Depression

5) Fear and anxiety

6) Stress

7) Lack of mental and physical resources

 

The latest research shows, that all these problems are strongly influenced by our habits of thought and character formation. The research also provides clues how we can influence these problems positively. This is where Mind-Education comes in.

 

It is well known that lifestyle factors such as smoking and obesity, are causing increased incidence of cardiovascular disease. What few people know is, that these lifestyle factors can explain only about 70% cardiovascular diseases, while the remaining 30% is related to the cocktail of mental factors related to e.g.  interpersonal conflicts, economic pressure, stress and depressive habits of thought etc.

Mental factors also affect the hormones that regulate our metabo-lism, physical energy level, and our choice of food items, and these factors therefore also influence our lifestyle.

The good news is that these factors are modifiable, and new studies show that you can reduce the risk of disease using mental techniques. It does however require knowledge, energy and commitment to change your mental habits. This is where we offer to help you.

Introduction

What is Mind-Education?

Mind-Education is research-based knowledge and practical skills in how you –with your brain alone -can:

1) Improve your physical and mental health

2) Reduce the risk of chronic diseases

3) Increase your life expectancy

4) Provide you with effective methods to cope with chaos, worries and fears

5) Make you more emotionally robust

6) Make you more able to handle conflicts

7) Calm down your brain and your stress level

8) Increase your mental and physical resources

 

The Mind-Education course – What is it

The Mind-Education course – (read more)– is a help to help yourself. I show you the way, but you decide whether you want to go and how far. Experience shows that it is a process that requires time, dedication and commitment. It's like walking up a very long flight of stairs with a lot of steps. You may need to stop occasionally and reflect for a period before the next step is taken. You set the pace.

 

The expanded stress-concept

Some, but not all elements of the Mind-Education program are related to "The expanded stress-concept", which is a research-based terminology, meaning that the focus is not only on work-related stress. This expanded concept covers a wide range of factors that impact family life and previous stressful living conditions in childhood and adolescence. Mind-Education can therefore be part of an effort to prevent stress or minimize your basic stress level. Mind-Education does however not just aim to lower your stress level, but also to improve your quality of life, your mental resources, and risk for the physical disease. Mind-Education therefore consists of much more than the conventional techniques and methods used in programs for stress prevention. All these issues are described in my book: "Understanding STRESS, the good, the Bad, the Hidden" - read more

 

Your mental risk profile

We suggest that I start analysing your mental risk profile - read more here - which gives an idea of how you can optimize both with regard to reducing your risk of disease, and how you can improve your quality of life, etc.

Mission

The modern man and modern civilization has managed major technological achievements in the last century, and the way we live today is very far from the life that evolution has created us for.

We are not starving anymore, and we have a myriad of technical equipment and amenities.

 

We have, however, acquired a number of new challenges in the context of this development: Most striking is the high incidence of mental disorders and stress, as well as a number of chronic lifestyle diseases affecting more and more.

 

Medical and psychological research has been very active in trying to analyse how to overcome these challenges, but we still have a long way to go.

Significant progress has however been made to such a degree, that it would be unethical not to spread this new knowledge. The new findings come from many different disciplines covering a wide spectrum of medical, psychological and sociological research, etc.

 

My mission is to summarize and spread the practical relevant part of this research, in order to inspire how we can create a better society for our children and fellow citizens.